Flu vaccinations are offered yearly to "at risk" groups. This usually occurs in October. On the whole healthy people who do not fall into any of the groups below are at very low risk of complications from flu. More than 3000 people die from flu related illnesses in the UK each year (usually elderly).
Facts and Myths:
- You cannot get flu from the vaccination, if a cold/flu does occur after the injection this is coincidental.
- The vaccine is a mix of the likely strains of flu which is expected that year.
- Flu vaccination does not prevent coughs or colds which are caused by different viral infections.
- Side effects are generally minimal, some may get slight soreness at the injection site, or rarely a mild fever.
The following are eligible for flu vaccination
- over 65 years of age
- under 65 years and have a chronic condition such as heart disease, diabetes, stroke, asthma requiring 2 inhalers or more, or on any medication that makes your immunity low.
- a carer
- a pregnant woman
- Frontline health and social care workers
As regards those aged 18 or under eligible patients consist of –
- Those in a clinical risk group - it is especially important that they are vaccinated.
- Those aged two and three (i.e born between 1st September 2015 and before 31st August 2017).
- Primary school children - they will be offered the vaccination in school.
- Children who are home educated will also be offered the service, provided they are in the eligible age group. Parents can obtain information about arrangements from their local NHS Public Health Commissioning team (https://www.england.nhs.uk/%20about/regional-area-teams/ )
IMPORTANT: Please note that
- Trivalent Flu Vaccines – for the over 65’s - Stock available.
Quadrivalent Flu Vaccines – for all others except children - Stock available
Child Nasal Flu Vaccines – Stock available
We would like to apologise to all our patients for not updating the notice regarding the cancelled flu clinic on the 19/10/19 due to a failed delivery of the flu vaccines.
Please do NOT go to a pharmacy - support your practice instead.
Our Flu sessions will be as follows –
Trivalent – over 65’s please telephone to make an appointment for the next flu clinic on 24/10/19
Quadrivalent under 65yrs old except children – please telephone to make an appointment for the next flu clinic on Saturday 26/10/19
Child nasal flu vaccines for children born between 1/9/2015 - 31/8/2017 please telephone to make an appointment for this clinic on 30/10/19
other dates for child nasal flu are as follows.
Wednesday 30th October
Wednesday 6th November
Wednesday 13th November
Wednesday 27th November
Wednesday 4th December. Please telephone to make an appointment for any of the flu clinics.
We also offer patients over 65 years old the Pneumonia vaccination. If you think you may not have had it and are over 65 years old please speak to a nurse or doctor. In most cases this provides lifelong protection.
The Pneumonia vaccination is recommended for children over 2 months old who have one of the following conditions:
- Asplenia or splenic dysfunction.
- Chronic respiratory disease, including asthma.
- Chronic heart disease.
- Chronic renal disease.
- Chronic liver disease.
- Individuals with cochlear implants.
- Individual with C.S.F shunts.
- Children under 5 years of age who have previously had pneumococcal disease.